Monday, January 21, 2008

January Blahs!

I was reading my cousin, Shannon's blog and she was wondering what she could do for her January blahs. I have always looked forward to January. I try to reorganize my life in January. I look at my past year and look forward to the new year and decide things I want to change and get rid of in that year. First, I look at my house and decide what needs to be decluttered. I always start in the computer room where all my scrapbook stuff is. I usually just stare at it and think what am I going to do with all this stuff I have. Most times this room is just too overwhelming for me! Then I look at my music room area! Again, tons of music and lots to go through. And the fact that I am the music chairman, choir director and organist in our ward makes it difficult to find when I am not using all this music! Again, I try to make and straighten piles of music. I put all the music from Christmas away and file it. And find music that has been hidden for the past year and sit down and play the piano for an hour! And then I leave that area! I know, I will straighten my closet. I have an unwritten rule! No new clothes unless I get rid of some first. Easy, I look through my closet and anything I haven't worn in the past year gets tossed. Soon I have a big black garbage bag filled with clothes for DI. Now there are a few places in the closet where the new stuff can go. I also go through my shoes. I love shoes and purses! So I want to make room for all the new spring sandals that will be coming out. Again , another bag for DI! Then I put everything out side in the garage and Keith can haul it to DI for me. I decided that this year each month I will completely declutter a room. I better get back to the scrapbook room and finish it since January is half over.
Then I like to look at areas in my life that need work and decluttering. Our bishop gave a talk in church about repentance. He told us to make a list of 5 sins that we want to get rid of and to start working on one at a time. So I took on that challenge. It has really given me a lot of thought and effort. Everyday I recommit myself to working on that particular area that needs work. It has made a difference to think about it each and everyday. It also helped me to recommit to reading my scriptures everynight! This would definitely help me with my relationship with my Heavenly Father!
Of course, there is the old diet that is always needing work. Every year when I make my NEW YEAR's RESOLUTIONS the old diet is on the list! Wouldn't it be great to one year having accomplished that goal. For me it will probably never come. But I am trying to be more aware of what I am eating. Exercising has become a challenge bacause Keith is teaching seminary and won't go at nights anymore. I don't like to go by myself.
Then I decide I need to work on my family relationships. The one that needs the most work is my relationship with my dad. I never want to have any regrets about any of my relationships and as my dad gets older I want to have a relationship where he feels loved by his daughter. I also need to work on taking care of my in laws. There are getting so old and feeble. Especially my father in law. He is 86 and feels like life has passed him by. I think he would be happier if he died. My mother in law has cancer and has to have chemo treatments. She needs alot of help and attention and I could work alot harder on that.
I always have a financial goal that I work on each year. I haven't decided on this one yet. I am waiting to see if we are going to go into a full recession or not.
These are some of my New Year's Resolutions that I am going to work on. What are you going to work on? Let me know!

2 comments:

Shannon Allen said...

Thanks Denise for your blog. It has made me think of what I need to do in January.

You are always such an example to me. Thanks for being my cousin!

the gregory's said...

Busy, Busy, Busy... I've been slacking, after reading that I need to get on some things now!!!